Facebook cover videos are becoming more popular. They make good use of the cover space at the top of your Facebook page. We recently added a cover video to Pacesetter Media’s page, and I have a details and tips for you.
- Facebook cover videos start automatically without sound when your page loads. (Auto start can be disabled.)
- They loop automatically by default.
- Sound is muted by default.
- They are cropped to 312 pixels high when they appear on your page.
- They are clickable, so somebody can see the full-size video with sound.
Facebook Video Size
Facebook recommends a video that’s 820 x 462 pixels.
On computers, when the cover video appears, the height is cropped to 312 pixels. The video can be repositioned to show the middle 312 pixels.
On mobile browsers, the video does not play, but the thumbnail for the video is displayed at 820 x 462.
Facebook Cover Video Tips
- Put the important content in the middle of the video using lots of vertical margin — 17% of the height at the top and bottom.
- Create a video that doesn’t rely on sound.
- Include sound anyway, even a stock music track. The full-size video plays with sound when it’s clicked. Sound is a nice touch.
- Create your video at 1920×1080 resolution, and export a version that’s 820 x 462 pixels for Facebook. That way you can use the high resolution video where appropriate.
Sample Cover Videos
Here are a few examples.
Lincoln Avenue Brewery
University of Michigan
As always, call Pacesetter Media at (813) 685-9206 if you have any questions or need help with your video.